Who is Eligible?
We represent low income individuals and families in civil matters. We do not handle criminal cases.
LSSCM uses federal income eligibility limits (125% of the federal poverty level) to determine income eligibility. Pursuant to federal guidelines, we are also able to represent clients who have household incomes less than 200% of the federal poverty levels with certain eligible expenses. As an example, a family of four qualifies if their household income is $44,100 or less. In addition, some of our grants permit us to handle cases above the federal guidelines.
If you are low income and facing a civil legal crisis, please call to determine financial eligibility.
If you are a migrant or seasonal farmworker, please call our Farmworker Legal Services office.
Who we Serve
LSSCM serves approximately 10,000 families and individuals each year. Following is demographic information for the clients we serve:
- 36% of LSSCM clients are ethnic/racial minorities
- 21% of LSSCM clients are seniors
- 72% of LSSCM clients are female
- 49% of LSSCM clients have household incomes less than $10,000 per year
- 82% of LSSCM clients have household incomes less than $20,000 per year
- 26% (or over 410,000 people) of the population in the 13 counties served by LSSCM qualify for free civil legal aid